Sunday 9 December 2012

collectables



Rooting around in the storage boxes I came up with these treasures.  Squeezers, slicers, pulpers and pressers, all vintage and before electric gadgets took over the modern kitchen.  I think I understand and appreciate the garlic masher, and the egg slicer, but for the love of me I can't figure out what would be inserted in the presser to have the living daylights squeezed out of it.  Could be fruit perhaps being given this treatment.  These are the times I wish my mother were here to tell me the story behind this stuff.  These were implements that came out of her kitchen, went into the box and have been resting there, long forgotten, until I opened it in a quest for something else entirely - which I didn't find by the way.
The egg quarterer is actually quite ingeneous I think.  Hard boiled egg is inserted into the cup, and the wire pressed down to quarter the egg.  Brilliant!  And the garlic and onion chopper - so handy.  I actually think I will put these two gadgets back in use.  Just wish I could think what to do with the squeezer thing.  Any ideas?  Anybody?


 I also found my mother's flour sifter which is a lovely old contraption with a crank handle and was just the thing for sifting together the dry ingredients for baking powder biscuits on on a snowy grey day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment