Thursday 7 February 2013

Under construction



The workroom is buzzing this week.  A new sock is under construction although I'm not at all sure I like the colour combinations.  The wool is Opal from Garn Studios and the colour name is "inspiration".  Hmmm.
Since I find it soothing to knit socks mostly in the evening while watching a movie or something on television, I was quite surprised to find out about the yellow stripe when I viewed the work in the daylight.  In the half light I swear that stripe looked white.   This big ball has been resting in my sock tub as part of the stash, so I must have chosen it at some point, but for the life of me I don't know why. I suprise myself sometimes.  At any rate, the socks or I should say sock number one is coming along.  I knit one at a time, from the cuff down on five 5" needles and this time I've decided to run the k1p1 rib all the way to the heel.  I think it might tame this wildness a bit.  I could be wrong. I'm also knitting circles to felt and then to embellish with beads and stitching, and I'm rolling felt beads.  All of this will be popped into the washing machine when I have enough to justify the hot water.  I'm giving myself some playtime.

I stopped everything a few days ago and pulled out some of my books looking for inspiration.  I started thinking about threads, which led me to connections, which led me to thinking about my mother and grandmothers, my aunts, cousins and friends, all of whom were and are handy and artistic.  And that lead to thinking about threads as lifelines, connectors, histories,  ravelling and unravelling with time.  And that is the story I want to tell in my work this year. 
A comment was made the other evening at the Etsy Alberta Street Team meet-up about fibre art being low on the Totem poll because it is considered "women's work" and home decoration.  The artist who made the comment is a quilter.  I fervently wish she wasn't right, but I'm afraid that is how much of this work is viewed generally - not at all appreciated for the imagination, skill, time and effort it takes actually to make this stuff. 


No comments:

Post a Comment