Wednesday 13 February 2013

Post cards

I had  fun this afternoon.  I made a post card.    Now, this post card is for a cause and the cause is to keep a dear little post office which is under threat, open.  The call went out from Jane Davies, fibre artist and owner of this post office which is located in rural Vermont, in the United States.  Apparently her little Post office, and its resident gaggle of chickens,  is in danger of being closed because the volume of mail is considered too low by the United States Postal Service.  Jane is determined this can't happen.  You can read about her Post Card project here.  You can even send her a post card or a letter to add to the volume that will hopefully convince the USPS to reconsider.  My post card is in a protective envelope, coming from Canada, and is ready to ship out tomorrow.  There is no way this little card would survive without protection, especially coming from another country.
Even more important, I learned something about myself making this little post card this afternoon.  It took me all of a couple of hours to complete, and I had such fun designing and constructing it.    I learned that art doesn't have to be complicated.  It doesn't have to be about something. It doesn't have to be for sale.  Art just has to be.  This little 4" x 6" card certainly isn't earth shaking art, but it is creative and it did come from my heart, and my goofy artistic vision of the moment.  It uses fibre, stitching, and some buttons.  Big deal eh?  But it came from my head, my heart and it gave me joy.  That is what making art should be all about.  I needed that lesson I think.  And hopefully Jane will get to keep her Post Office.

2 comments:

  1. THANKS so much for the card! Very nice blog! Keep on creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your note Jane. I'm glad you liked the card. The blog is new and you are my very first comment. Very exciting!

      Delete