Sunday 30 September 2012

Autumn knitting



I love to knit and crochet.  It is relaxing and I can do it while I watch television or plug in a DVD.  I confess, I am a big time Dr Who fan.   What could be better than knitting on the new afghan while watching Dr. Who, I ask you.   I loved David Tennant as the 10th Dr, but Matt Smith is great too.  My other favourite "knitting" program is "Once Upon a Time".  I am such a romantic.  Fairy Tales are great fun.
 I must say, I'm thrilled with how the afghan is coming up.  I'm using a mix of yarns, featuring the wonderful hand dyed mohair and boucle from Fleece Artist in Nova Scotia.  You can see some of their wonderful colours and yarns here.  I'm also mixing in some interesting Sari Silk yarns I've picked up along the way.  One fortunate thing about my stash - it appears that shades of red and burgundy predominate.  I'm nothing if not consistent apparently. 
The Afghan is garter stitch on 6.5 mm needles.  I cast on 230 stitches and I'm changing yarns every five rows at the moment.  I started out changing yarn every three rows and I'll probably end the piece with another section of three-row changes.  The stitch count was arbitrary after measuring how long I want the thing to be.   As I look in the yarn basket, I'm a bit over half way.   I want to leave enough yarn in the basket to make 6 inch fringe on both ends.  The goal is to get finished before the snow flies.   I kind of fell to pieces in August when it was so hot.  I couldn't stand the thought of the big heavy thing on my lap while I worked on it.  That's when I turned to knitting socks - small needles, thin yarn, no pressure.
I love knitting socks! I'm  half way through this second sock, using DGB Confetti superwash which is a mix of 75% wool and 25% nylon in  very consistent green, grey and white fairisle stripes. 
 I mostly use the same plain pattern for my socks, especially if I'm using computer dyed yarn like the Confetti..  I work on five short double pointed needles .  This way the same number of stitches are on each needle around.  I'm a tight knitter so I like 2.5 mm needles  And...if I'm making socks for me, I cast on 56 stitches, dividing them equally onto four needles for 14 stitches per needle, knit and purl 2-1/2 inches of rib and then knit around down to the heel.  I did all that on the first sock, and, well, , and I can only blame this on the summer hot spell, I cast on 64 stitches for the second sock.  Fortunately I'm keeping these socks for myself to wear this winter.   My feet will be happy.  They won't notice the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment