Monday 10 September 2012

A ride in the country

It's harvest time in Southern Alberta. It's September.

   I love September.  The air has a crispness to it.  The extreme heat of August is a memory.  September brings warm days but cool nights which my garden loves .My tomatoes are finally ripening.  It's a mystery though whether they will make it in time to beat the first frost.  If they do, I'll make a big batch of tomato sauce to freeze for winter spagetti.

Yesterday, Libby the Border Collie and I decided to take a drive in the country.  We  headed east, aiming for Rosebud, Alberta - the little town I have been hearing so much about in the arts magazines.  Here is the link
 Rosebud is tucked away at the western edge of the Alberta Badlands. It's a pretty little town, an artist and theatre destination.  But, alas, not on Sundays.   There was a reward of homemade blueberry pie and hot coffee and conversation though, when we stopped at the Rosebud Inn.  The pie alone was worth the trip.  Libby made do with dog bisquits and cold water.
  
 We stuck to the back roads on the way east, relying on my trusty GPS and road map to keep us more or less headed in the right direction until we hit Highway #9.  The fields under blue skys and fluffy white clouds were bustling with gigantic green machines, big trucks and dust.   It was a day to be out.


No comments:

Post a Comment