Thursday 22 March 2012


This morning we woke to snow, big fat flakes of it.  It started sometime early this morning and continues as I write this.  Libby and I walked, as we do every morning, and I felt like I was walking in a snow globe.  I remember a wonderful snow globe treasure. It belonged to friends of my parents  . I could happily disappear into that globe while the adults visited. As I remember, the globe was a heavy glass paperweight and when I shook, a snowstorm started.  Sparkly snow fell on the small cabin and the tiny person walking with his dog through the snow toward it.  It was magical and I used to imagine the small person was me  I’ve looked ever since for a snow globe like that, alas to no avail. 
Yesterday, we walked in sunshine and actually saw two robins.  Today, not even a flicker was out and about.  The only activity we saw was a women grumpily brushing off her car, and our intrepid mailman who agreed that today is indeed much different than yesterday.
We did follow tracks though, on our route – we saw rabbit tracks,  car tracks,  footprints, and of course us, Patty and Libby breaking trail up the alley and around to the busy street with its ever present threat of buses and trucks , and then rounding the corner to the more quiet street where we encountered a man in a short sleeved tee shirt shoveling his walk while his yellow lab ate the snow. The lab came over to say hello to my cautious Libby who shyly wagged her tail .  Then we came home, put on the kettle, and settled down to work while the snow fell all around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment