Tuesday 27 March 2012

I was looking at the wonderful jack frost whiskers on the branches the other day, and thought of...doilies, crochet doilies.  I might have mentioned that I come from a long line of needlewoman, women who rarely were seen without knitting needles, crochet hooks, needlepoint, embroidery on the go.  Every tea towel was embroidered.  Every pillowcase had crochet edging.  All tableclothes were decorated with edgings and embroidery or cutwork. Chairs enoyed needlepoint seats. Newborns were wrapped in knitted or crochet sweatersets and knitted shawls. Children wore handmade mittens and toques outside to play.  And the family slept under handmade cozy quilts  It was the way of things.  It was art - woman's art and I happen to own a lot of it passed down to me from my grandmothers and my mother.   This handmade heritage is probably why I opened and ran a yarn and needlework shop for as long as I did.  And these lovely old handmade pieces comfort me and inspire me  It's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment