Friday 22 August 2014

Weekend Girl Style


I've been cleaning out my closet.  It seemed like a good day to do it - raining, cool, a nip of premature fall in the air.   Getting rid of old clothes that don't work anymore is a bit like cleaning out a former life.  No, I lie - it is exactly like cleaning out a former life.

There is a pile of clothes ready for sorting and giving away to "Good Will".  These clothes just don't work for me now, in this life I have and I'm tired of them.  They used to work.  There are memories in the clothes of that former life - but it's time to let go.

Why all this?  Well, I happened upon an episode of  the Marilyn Denis show - Marilyn is slightly obsessed with making over women, and I suppose, making them remember who they have sort of forgotten who they are.  She had on her show Fashionista, Gretta Monahan, who has written a book - a primer really -  defining four types of dress - the girlie girl, sophisticated girl, Sexy girl and Weekend girl.

So, what spoke to me at this time of my life? 

Behold the weekend girl


" This girl prefers comfort and, to her, everyday is a weekend "-( well that might be going a tad far.) . "She is most often found in casual pieces that don't look like she's trying too hard. This girl's style icons are Jennifer Anniston, Katie Holmes and Cameron Diaz" (.Actually I think I'm a bit old to worry about Jennifer or Katie or Cameron but she nailed it about the casual comfort thing)

This is what I'm aiming for when clothes shopping is on the agenda, and now that I've purged the closet, I feel justified.  I guess it's true that in order for a new thing to come into your life, you must get rid of something.  Empty hangers await.   The next clean out is the sweater chest!

No comments:

Post a Comment