Thursday 21 August 2014

Knowing when to fold 'em


I have been fighting with this latest shawl for long enough - today it is coming out - right out - the entire thing - out.  I did it to myself - I picked the wrong pattern, didn't look at how much meterage was needed, grabbed this lovely ball of Allegria from the Manos Del Uruguay company and a 5.5mm hook and got started.

The shawl pattern is called Morning Webs Shawl, designed by Kathryn White, published by Interweave Press,  and there is no doubt it is a gorgeous pattern - just not for one ball of Allegria Botanico (sigh ). 

It was going well, too,  until I came to the border and realized I was facing two entire rounds of double crochet clusters and chains, guaranteed to gobble up yarn.  That was when I put down the hook, went back to the beginning and actually read the yarn requirements - and realized I was some 400 meters short to make the project.  I have 425 meters - the pattern calls for 796.    That's what I get for being in a hurry I guess.

I consulted my books for border ideas thinking I just might be able to pull the project out of the fire.
But you know, no matter how I look at this - and I have been looking at it believe me, I don't like it, can't get into finishing it.  So it has been sitting, waiting patiently, and today while Libby and I were walking and playing at the river, I realized it is time to start over with a new pattern that will actually fit the amount of yarn I have to play with. 

Sometimes you just have to know when to fold 'em.




No comments:

Post a Comment