Friday 25 April 2014

Searching for signs of spring





It has been four months since my accident now, and I'm only just able to write about it, to write just how frightening it was to fall through the darkness like that and land so hard, breathless and in intense pain,.  All I could taste was dust.  There seemed to be no air getting in my lungs and I couldn't move.  The first set of X-rays clearly showed the compression fracture, and nobody wanted to even touch it, just to get me into a brace as quickly as possible.  And there I stayed.  I'm only just lately out of the brace and into a pretty intense exercise program that includes walking (thank God for Libby), and back strengthening exercise set by my wonderful physiotherapist .  Next stop is the swimming pool and Aqua mobility.  I hope the water is warm.

 I was wandering around the garden a couple of days ago looking for signs of any spring like behavior among the leaf mulch we so carefully laid down last fall before winter set in.  Winter really  was long, cold and snowy.   I spent most of it  laid up and resting inside my brace, getting comfortable knitting in a semi-reclining position between doctor's appointments,  various MRI's, bone scans and X-rays and watching way too much daytime television.  I think I glow in the dark but I haven't actually tested that. I nicknamed my brace "the bullet proof vest".  In truth it has held me up during this protracted recovery - which isn't over yet - they say it takes at least a year to recover from and accidental injury like this one, and probably my back will never actually be the same as it was. But if these exercises have anything to do with it - I will have muscles!

I'm cheered though, to see green plant life emerging.  The tulip leaves are about 2 inches up  out of the ground right now.   The blue poppy lived through the winter.  There are buds on the lilac and that gladens my heart.  Number one son pruned the tree and the sour cherry to tame the water shoots and he raked the lawns once the glacier had receded.
I'll spend more time in the lawn chair this year, after I get the pillows on it.  I'm thinking healing thoughts this spring.  The garden will survive and so will I.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment