Monday 28 April 2014

A tad optimistic

Calgarians are so tired of this protracted winter like behavior that every time we get a warmish day with sunshine, coats are shed, long pants exchanged for bermuda shorts and boots cast off in favour of flipflops.  But the next day, back comes the snow shower and makes the poor baby tulip leaves shiver.  At this rate the tulips will emerge from their cocoons in July!
The snow puts a spring in Libby's step though and that brings a smile to everyone's face.  This is a girl for whom snow was created I think.  She can hardly wait to get out there and make donuts, lopsided snow angels and just generally tear around like a mad thing.  This being spring snow it actually compacts together to make snowballs which I fire from the safety of the stop sending her flying toward the back fence trying to catch them.  She comes up with a mouthful of snow, grinning like an idiot.  I love it.
I'm also loving this sock.  I'm using Lang Jawoll Colour in colour number 132 and it is great fun watching the changes as I move along here.  I like Lang sock wool.  Inside each ball is a hidden surprise - a small ball of nylon thread in the same colour way as the sock yarn -  inserted  especially for knitting into the heels and toes of the sock  Very smart idea!  I'm trying out a new set of needles from Knitter's Pride - Karbonz in size 2.75 mm and they are lovely to work with - smooth carbon fibre shafts and steel tips.  According to the blurb on the package back, carbon fibre is one of the most versatile materials and is also used in the manufacture of aircrafts and space ships and racing cars.  Who knew?   I'm using my plain go-to sock pattern, casting on 64 stitches, knitting a  3 inch k1p1 rib and then down the leg to my favourite heel.  If you check out my sock tutorial post you can get the instructions.  With a wool this colourful, you really don't need a pattern - the yarn does all the work. 
I'm teaching a brand new class at Stash tonight - that we are calling Homemade to Handmade - I hope it goes well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment