Sunday 28 April 2013

Studio Space

I happened upon a wonderful blog feed the other day,you can see it all here featuring studio spaces of some pretty famous writers, artists and creators, which got me to thinking about my own space, and where I hang out most days, trying to come up with ideas.  So I got out the camera and...
Here is my studio space, or workroom as I fondly refer to it:  It's cozy in here.
Over my desk hangs a lovely angel, made for me by my lifelong friend Margianna - Margie Swearington Thurman to her friends, who passed away 5 years ago.  She made it for me after I fell in love with a similar one in the window of a toy store in Victoria.  She said in her wonderful way "I can do better than that"  And she did.
Mine is a small space, less than 9 feet by 11 feet actually and full of all the "stuff" I seem to think I need around me these days.  Behind the camera the closet shelves are full of tubs holding yarn, beads, tools, etc, etc. - the stuff of my creativity.  
By comparison and contrast, here are some studio spaces I especially like.
This is Georgia O-Keefe's studio - very tidy..and very white.
And here is Picasso in his studio looking annoyed at the interruption.  It looks like an art gallery doesn't it?.
Here is Nigella Lawson in her work space, obviously a vertical thinker wouldn't you say? And a lover of books too.
The Bronte's worked  in this very tidy space.  Their inner world was much more colourful and chaotic than their work space.
George Bernard Shaw did his thinking and writing here.  It looks to me like his space was even smaller than mine is, but a lot more tidy - spartan even.  It looks like a garden shed he converted.
Roald Dahl wrote his wonderful children's books on his lap here, smoking many cigarettes by the look of the ashtray.
And Virginia Woolf set up her desk here so she could look out in her garden. 

Spaces that people go to be creative fascinate me.  What they have around them to inspire them or in some cases what they don't have, is equally fascinating I think.  It all comes down to what feeds your creativity, whether it be absence or excess.

No comments:

Post a Comment