Tuesday 16 April 2013

In the Studio


This has finally come together - a mixed media fibre arts neck piece which consists of ribbon yarns, beads, and a unique felted bead which has itself been beaded.  It was fun to design.  I love the mix of the colours.
The beads are the end result of a fun felting day.  After they dried I started  embellishing them.  They look a bit like mutant licorice allsorts don't they.

The felting frenzy continues.  These roses are felted in pieces and then cut into shapes and wrapped.  The stems were wet felted around wire and then beaded and carved so there would be leaves and beaded prickles.  At first I thought the rose would be a neck piece, but now I'm not so sure.  It is still a work in progress, but I'm pleased with the progress I'm making on it.

Libby and I walk by the river a few times a week, and the river rocks are starting to show as the snow and ice recedes.  Pummeled by the force of the water and weather, most of the rocks have been smoothed into  round or oval shapes.  I usually pick up one or two because they feel so good in my hands.
And then...I found  Margaret Oman's lovely crochet rock creations.   You can see Margaret's lovely blog here  Margaret crochets snoods onto random rocks she finds in her travels, and then gently leaves the decorated rock on the beach near her home for people to find.  I'm quite enchanted by that.  You can also purchase one of Margaret's creation's on her ETSY site if you've a mind to. 
This neck piece is bead crochet medallians.  I made the medallians individually and then crochet them together in random order...It's a soft piece and easy to wear but I think the medallians need more structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment