Saturday 15 March 2014

A Hint of Colour

We had 2 cm of  fresh snow this morning - a sort of spring snow that could have been rain, except it wasn't.
We have been having chinooks this past week. Lots of sunshine and warm temperatures  have melted a good deal of the snow around the city and dried up some of the roads.  The front garden is actually showing lawn - well, it was until this morning... but all the plants are still fast asleep. Very sensible of them I think.   In desperation, I bought a bunch of bright red tulips at the grocery store.  It will be quite a while yet until tulips poke their brave little heads out of the frozen ground around here. 


Meet the glacier that occupies the north facing back garden. . The raised beds are buried under  ice, but the glacier is receding, very slowly, inch by inch as a glacier should.  I'll keep you posted.

The first day of spring is the 20th of March, this coming Thursday, but in our part of the country it is a wish, not a reality.   Here we will be lucky to celebrate spring in May...tra la, unlike our Canadian west coast which is awash in blossoms.  I'm trying not to be envious.

I am working hard right now preparing a tutorial on the proper finishing of hand knitted creations.  Knitted garments are on the runways, and knitted sweaters, toques, scarves and mittens are still being created here for a while yet.  So...seaming, using mattress stitch, kitchener stitch, and proper blocking are all on the drawing board to help new knitters take their creations from homemade to Hand Made  I'm knitting dozens of 4x4 squares to help with the demonstrations when I teach the class at Stash Needle Art Lounge in April and May. And I will post a tutorial here once I have put it all together.

It begs the question, doesn't it why so many knitting terms are named for British peers - Lord Cardigan, General Kitchener to name a couple of them.  I don't think these gentlemen ever picked up a knitting needle.  I'll have to do some research on that - unless someone out there has any information they can pass along.  If you do, I'd love to hear from you.
And so it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment